Saturday 24 September 2011

Some sexual tension creates fireworks in RED DUST (1932)

Clark Gable and Jean Harlow
A dynamite movie involving three screen legends: Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, and Mary Astor. Gable is Denny Carson, who runs a rubber plantation in Indo-China with a tight fist. Along comes Lily Vantine (Ms. Harlow) who just lights up the screen with her explosive persona. Lily explains she had to leave the states because of certain complex issues. All Denny sees is her trampish looks and the two become attached fairly quickly. But that relationship is put under pressure when Gary Willis arrives with his wife Babs (the terrific Astor) to begin work on the plantation. Denny is immediately attracted to Babs and thus a love triangle is formed. Babs husband is totally unaware of what's going on and to be fair he is under the weather with a fever when they first arrive there.
Clark Gable and Jean Harlow
Red Dust is one heck of a movie. I know some people complain of the racial overtones but this movie is set in 1932 so just keep that in mind when watching it. As far as performances go, all three leads are sensational. Gable is definetly a man's man in this one. Holding the screen with all the macho swagger he can muster. Jean Harlow is funny all the way through. She shoots out lines with rapid fire regularity. And Mary Astor brings a little class to the proceedings. And believe it or not she has one scene where she manages to out-sex Ms. Harlow. After being caught in an unexpected rainstorm, she gets soaked and is carried back to the house by Gable. In that one instant she gives off so much sexual energy, you can feel it coming off the screen. Red Dust is a solid film that delivers action, humor, passion, and some great acting.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vantine: You can check the wings and halo at the desk.
Dennis Morgan: I'll be right up.

Look at the photos below and you can just see all that sexual chemistry flowing off the screen...




 Jean Harlow is just too sexy...




Jean Harlow is to die for...no question about it!

2 comments:

  1. I love love love this movie. This and China Seas are my favorite Jean Harlow movies.

    I never understood why he would go for Mary Astor over Jean Harlow...

    I def. like this version better than Mogambo. I think that movie is rather boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to confess that I don't know this movie yet - but because I simply adore Jean Harlow I am very eager to watch it. Thank you for this review, Monty.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - I'll read them all and if I can think of an answer I'll post it. :")