Sunday 25 September 2011

Memorable Film and TV Characters (6): Norman Bates (Psycho)

Norman in one of his quieter moments

Probably the most maladjusted young man you will ever meet. Norman Bates. As the young man who runs the Bates Motel, a run down place just off the main highway to California, Anthony Perkins is top notch in his performance. Norman is so quiet and nice, you wouldn't think he harbors a terrifying secret. Well when bank teller Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) steals money from her bank and high tails it out of town, she stops that night at The Bates Motel. She meets Norman, who tells her it's just him and his ailing mother who you sometimes hear calling for Norman to bring her something. Now for those who have never seen Psycho, I won't spoil how things turn out. Let's just say it's not pleasant.

Chatting with Marion..don't think Mother would approve

Norman is the type of guy when you first meet may seem a little odd, but is very gracious and understanding. A person who you could talk to and hng out but always say.."that Norman is a nice man, a little strange, but nice". Norman Bates is probably one of the best characters ever to grace a horror/thriller movie. And his film appearances run all the way from 1960 to 1986. Wow! So personally I guess I would talk to him in passing just to say hi, but I would definitely not spend a night at his hotel. I think I would keep on driving and find another spot.
Oh My God! Mother! What have you done?

The infamous Bates Motel

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I love Norman Bates - and of course Anthony Perkins.. Thank you, Monty for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek.... it's strange the effect this guy has on me. Every time I look at his face, I get all freaked out... that smile, everything in that face.... I can't even watch Anthony Perkins in other movies because of this! It's crazy...

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - I'll read them all and if I can think of an answer I'll post it. :")