Sunday 30 October 2011

Nothing but the awful truth - Halloween special


As you all might know (not so much if you're living in Germany where shops are telling you to buy your Christmas stuff since September..) tomorrow is Halloween..

Sol I asked Monty to recommend some Horror films to watch – here are his picks:


1. To watch with the whole family

I would say for the whole family to watch which would mean light on the blood and gore I say go with The Innocents or The Others…both are really good and effective with any blood.

2. To watch with “the boys”


To watch with the boys go with something like 30 Days of Night which feature lots of violent ways to take out a vampire..maybe to intense for the ladies.


3. To watch on a date


For a date how about the classics like Jaws or Psycho


4. To watch alone

To watch alone, I would choose Alien because it is very effective in getting the hair on the back of your neck aroused and the fewer people the better.


5. To never watch in the dark


Salem’s Lot (79 version) by far is one of the creepiest movies ever. Watch with the lights on if not you will have some nightmares. Trust me.



6. To watch only in the dark


Silence of the lambs to enhance it even better.

7. To watch because of an actor/actress


ooooohhhh, go with Kathy Bates in Misery or Dolores Claiborne..terrific performances in both films

~ Irene adores Kathy Bates.. she is just marvellous! ~


8. To watch because of the topic


for some of the classic monster movies: go with any of the Universal classics such as Dracula, The Wolf Man and Frankenstein.
Or the big horror ones such as The Exocist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, The Omen, Rosemary’s Baby, etc.



9. To avoid


BloodRayne, Jason X, Ultraviolet, Jaws 4, The Excorcist 2, are just some of the ones to avoid.



Thank you, Monty. I hope that our readers now have caught some ideas what to watch this Halloween. Is there any film you’ll watch every Halloween? Kind of “Hawe’s Halloween Classics”..?


I usually watch Psycho every Halloween or some Hitchcock film.


As far as a more modern film, The Descent is one of my favorites, that I watch around this time every year.

I see.. At Palfy’s every year I MARRIED A WITCH (1942) and ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (1944) are shown – as are THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1993) or CORPSE BRIDE (2005) - and there is of course the Palfy ADDAMS FAMILY marathon (the original TV show of course..).. All of them no "real" horror films – but they are really nice to watch. But let’s go on with the interview:


What makes a Horror film really creepy for you? What scares you the most?

I love it when something jumps out of nowhere or from the shadows to give a scare. Sometimes not seeing something is more scary than actually seeing it.

Oh, I completely agree with that, Monty..

Is there anything you are afraid to watch? One film you don’t want to watch because you think it might be too scary? Or one you were afraid to watch? Maybe one which later was quite lame?

I don’t think there is one..well I haven’t came across one yet.

The Excorcist still gives me the creeps but I will watch it. Sometimes with the lights on though. When I was a kid, it used to the first Alien film. Scared the crap out of me. It’s a great film, I just don’t get scared when I watch it now.

I see. Thank you again, Monty, for your answers.

A happy Halloween to everyone!!

~ Here is Steven Spielberg with Bruce, the mechanic shark during the filming of JAWS.. - also one of Irene's favourites "Horror" films.. ~


Thank you very much for listening

Irene

3 comments:

I really appreciate your comments - I'll read them all and if I can think of an answer I'll post it. :")