Sunday 3 April 2011

BEWARE THESE WOMEN! - even if they wear Disney colours!!



As you may remember: In my last post I showed you a picture of a horrified Mary Poppins – actually this could be counted as a hint: What makes a “good Disney character” flip out? Yes! A Disney villain! :”) So this is our “BEWARE THESE WOMEN!” -month – and I am going to show you my Top Ten Favourite Disney Villainesses:


# 10.An honorary mention of my sister’s favourite: Ursula of THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989)–who could resist a woman wiggling her hips like Ursula? She is more the curvaceous type – I like that. Next to her Arielle looks like a redheaded stick with a tail fin and carefully placed shells. ;”)

And Ursula's sidekicks have these wonderful picked names: Flotsam and Jetsam!





# 9.Yzma from THE EMPORER’S NEW GROOVE (2000)– I am not in love with that film. But: Yzma is great – she has her amazing under earth laboratory (hey, this women is interested in science!) and: she has a not-so-very-bright boy toy.

Let’s be honest: I think it would be great having a nice big guy doing things for me and protecting me.. yeah, I am just an old-fashioned girl – which leads to my main cause to love Yzma:



Her voice is delivered be another one of my heroines: Eartha Kitt


(Maybe you know my other blog Not sophisticated ( I am the sweet and simple kind) – this is actually a quote from Ms. Kitt’s Song “I am just an old fashioned girl”..)


The German voice of Yzma is Elke Sommer!! *yay* for that, too.



# 8.The Queen of Hearts of ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1951)– she has the cutest (and maybe smallest) husband. And: Off with their heads!! What more can I say?




# 7. The magnificent, marvellous mad Madam Mim of THE SWORD IN THE STONE (1963) She doesn’t play fair – or should I say she plays after her own rules? She is maybe one of the funniest villainesses in Disney universe.



# 6. Aunt Sarah and her cats from LADY AND THE TRAMP (1955) – well, Aunt Sarah is no real villainess – she does not know that Lady usually is treated like a family member – and her cats? Well, they behave like cats do – but because of Lady’s behavior of a lovely saint they and Aunt Sarah look like they were send from hell – or another place where mean old ladies use to live with two cats.. uhm.. I think it is my flat! Gee, I am going to be Aunt Sarah when I am grown!! ;”) But still my cats do not sing with the voice of Peggy Lee. But we listen to her a lot.. ;”)




# 5. Cruella De Ville of ONE HUNDRED AND ONE DALMATIANS (1961)– it’s in her name, daahhling! Every women who wants a coat made of puppies can’t be a nice lady – I mean: Animals are much nicer when they are alive – I would rather go nude than wear real fur.



Yeah: I am for Rather ink than mink! ~ Are you aware that this a quite political blog? [Pause for ashamed laughs] ;”) ~


She has her own song (How marvelous is that?)



And Cruella is also a more creative driver – like my

# 4. Madame Medusa of THE RESCUERS (1977) – she scared me deathly when she ripped off her lashes!! I grew up in a world of real lashes – to see Madame Medusa doing this was horrifying – and then she wiped her mouth off!!


See? SCARY!!

– My Daddy doesn’t like Make-Up at all, so I came to cosmetics rather late - which should explain why I sometimes look like Hatchet-face from CRY-BABY (1990):

(one of my favourite films – ha! Now I mentioned that one here, too..)


# 3. The wicked queen of SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (1937)- that one freaked me out as a kid (well, I still think the scene when she changes her looks into that old witch is creepy – have you noticed? Here we have another women with her own laboratory.).

She is a beautiful women ~ before changing – I am not that weird.. ~ and she is DEMANDING INNER ORGANS FROM HER STEPDAUGHTER!! What does she want to do with it? Sell it? Can you imagine that lady as a leader of an organ selling circle? I can - but not if it were musical organs.. (Wait!! Where are you going to? Why are you leaving this blog??)

Did you know that there are tutorials on youtube showing you how to recreate the evil queen make up!?! There actually is for almost every one of these women! That's amazing!

I lately had a discussion about the looks of the wicked queen with a friend of mine and she said: “The wicked queen could have been the perfect role for Joan Crawford: That lady had all Joan Crawford looks from 1930 – 1970. They just had not enough spare time to shoot that film in 40 years and so they decided to do it in a cartoon way.” (She made this sound very rude..)

As you know I am very, very witty – and so I answered:

“Oh, yeah? Go, kiss Tom Hanks and shut up.”

And after a short pause:

“And by the way: Joan Crawford would have done this amazingly – no matter what looks would have been required.”


Still, I am feeling like I have lost this battle for Joan..
# 2. Lady Tremaine of CINDERELLA (1950). Thoroughly a lady – very elegant from top to toe. Glowing green eyes ~ Does anyone want to guess the colour of my eyes? Mhm? Yes. ;") ~ and is extremely controlled. What could be scarier than a totally controlled women? ;”) She is accompanied by her lovely daughters Anastasia and Drizella.



And: She shares the voice of Eleanor Audley with my

# 1. Maleficent of SLEEPING BEAUTY (1959)! My heroine! I love her – she has a corvid and is very stylish (well, I don’t think that my face shape would be flattered by horns – but she can wear it.) I love her looks, I love her voice, I love everything concerning that woman. No further discussion. (I was also thinking about taking her picture as my avatar..)


Did you notice all the flames around her? This woman knows how to make an entrance for sure!!

King Stefan is an idiot not to invite her - she would have sat on her armchair, observed the party people and now and then laughed an evil laugh while fondling her corvid. ~ exactly what I do at parties.. ~

So, what do we learn from this?

You can be sure to watch a villainess when the woman is a mad driver with an interest for science or the like, two sidekicks or a dumb/powerless man next to her (who does what she says ) and: she does not care for rules.


– Do you think Miss Marple is one of them??



Yours (very wicked and) truly,

Irene

7 comments:

  1. This is a great list! I would choose just about the same ones. I'm really looking forward to reading the other posts in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ DKoren: What a nice thing to say! Thank you so much!! :")

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a awesome tribute to your, Favourite Disney Villainesses. you can really tell that you love those "Disney Bad Girls".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Dawn - I love them. :") And: Thank you! ;")

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wicked list Irene. You will outdid yourself with this one. I can't disagree with any of your choices or rankings. Thanks for the additional facts as well such as Elke supplying the German voice of Yzma. Excellent start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you - I hope that I can keep the tempo! ;")

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another "before we were blog friends" post.

    This is a great list of wicked Disney gals. I know most of those movies backwards and forwards, especially THE LITTLE MERMAID and 101 DALMATIANS. My kids loved all those movies when they were little; sadly, they are all on VHS and our VHS player has long since bit the dust, so we haven't watched one of these great Disney classics in years.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - I'll read them all and if I can think of an answer I'll post it. :")