Monday 16 August 2010

"Which Esther Williams do you want to hear about?"


Something I got to confess: I like Esther Williams. I like her films - and her amazing smile!! Esther Williams seems to be the personification of optimism.
The movies may not be the best around, but they are really fun to watch - and they brought the money in to make highclass movies. (Don't you ever forget that!!) It is a sort of films that I like to call "Breakfast Movies" because you have not to be all awake to watch them and enjoy them. Just look - don't think about it.

I read her autobiography The Million Dollar Mermaid, which she wrote together with Digby Diehl.

It is great! Miss Williams is really really REALLY outspoken and very honest. She doesn't hide her own faults, which I think is really admirable.

There are 30 pages with pictures in it, some are rare private photos - all black-and-white.

There is a lot juicy stuff to find in this book. Yes, this lady talks about sex - and some great gossip. Read about L. B. Mayer's tantrums, Johnny Weismuller making "advances" to poor Miss Williams and her first acid trip - suggested by Cary Grant! And, yes, you may learn a lot about bathing suits.

  • Side effects: You may get the urge to buy an Esther Williams swimsuit - as I did. (I love it!!) and you'll probably will swim a lot more.. :")

I am going to post some reviews about her films. (Not so many but a few.)


And here an Esther Williams quote, to think about:


"We can't all win Olympic medals. Even I never won one."


Well, how about you?

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this for ages. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for passing by, Baroness!

    I hope you enjoy the book - it may be x-rated, but sure is fun! I'd love to read your opinion!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - I'll read them all and if I can think of an answer I'll post it. :")